Chief of Staff
ABOUT AVANT ARTE
Avant Arte wants to make art radically more accessible for a new generation. The company began as a cult blog of contemporary artists and grew organically into the world’s largest and most engaged online art community, with more than 2 million of their followers under the age of 35.
The company collaborates with iconic contemporary artists like Jenny Holzer, Cai Guo-Qiang, Claire Tabouret and Hank Willis Thomas, making their work more accessible to younger collectors through sculpture editions, print editions and unique works on paper of exceptional quality. And they have built a highly engaged community of next-generation art collectors, which means Avant Arte’s artist launches are heavily oversubscribed, with many behaving more like fashion drops, selling out in under 30 seconds.
The company’s vision is to inspire a generation of millions of young people who love art like they love music and who collect works like they build their wardrobe.
We’re currently a team of 50, split between London and Amsterdam, looking to scale to more than 100 over the next 6 months. This is a great opportunity to join a highly successful, profitable, early-stage business at a pivotal moment in our growth, where you will have a big impact from day one.
We’re a small team with really big ambitions, both for what we want to achieve and also the environment we’re building. We want to create a company that remains thoughtful as we scale and tries to be genuinely progressive in how we operate; we want people to really own what they do and be given the autonomy and freedom to make mistakes, learn, and create something meaningful. We all work incredibly hard because we really care about what Avant Arte is here to do – we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, hungry to learn, and want to put their pride in our collective achievements.
We know that creating an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity is critical if we want to build something with impact and meaning. We believe that having diversity in age, background, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective will make us an infinitely better company. And it is particularly vital if we are going to build a roster of artists and a community of collectors that are representative of contemporary art and of the wider world today.
WHAT WE NEED
We’re looking for a highly organised and proactive Chief of Staff who will report directly to our Founder & CEO. We really do encourage everyone to proactively step outside of their job description if they see something that could be improved but the core of your role will involve:
- Planning and supporting regular leadership team cadences (agenda planning, recording actions and systematic follow up) and identifying opportunities to increase leadership team effectiveness.
- Supporting with company strategy and objectives setting, as well as the coordination of team-level objectives in line with our business cadences.
- Leading on monitoring and analysis of performance against key goals & KPIs across the company, identifying performance issues early and proactively helping to solve them.
- Identifying opportunities for implementing more efficient processes and systems across our teams and collaborating with key people in different functions to realise their implementation.
- Leading on aspects of key recruitment processes (role scoping, active sourcing, recruiter & process management and interviewing for key C-level / VP roles recruited directly by the CEO).
- Drafting key internal and external communications based on high-level input (investor updates, company all-hands).
- Creating materials to present the company and our plans both externally and internally.
- Supporting with proactive investor relations and managing inbound investor and partner requests, assisting with scheduling where involved directly.
- Undertaking ad-hoc strategic projects on behalf of the CEO and wider leadership team.
- Ensuring timely execution of a range of tasks and projects committed to from leaders and other members of the team.
The main skills we’re looking for are:
Highly organised – your personal operating system is second to none and you are comfortable with ruthless prioritisation of your time, tasks and objectives.
Relentlessly executional – you get your energy most when you’re getting things done at pace and inspiring those around you to move faster through your example.
Analytical & strategic – you have lots of experience with analysing complex data, including comfort with analysing financial performance, and you are able to move seamlessly from detail to strategic context in environments that have plenty of ambiguity.
Exceptional communication – you express yourself clearly and elegantly, whether verbally, through written prose or beautiful slides.
Proactive – you’re a self-starter who creates your own urgency, actively finding problems to solve and working tirelessly to push solutions; you take pride in taking ownership over, and being highly accountable for, your work.
Collaborative – you are consistently empathetic and can adjust your approach to different personality types and situations but feel comfortable challenging and pushing the people you work with; as a result, you build strong, productive relationships with a variety of people and you’re always hungry for, rather than sensitive to, feedback.
We think you’ll probably have:
- 5+ years’ experience working in environments including management consulting, business operations within a leading startup or scaleup, investment banking, or venture capital.
- You’ll get to be part of building one of the fastest growing tech companies in culture, backed by early investors in companies like Skype, Farfetch, Glossier and Facebook.
- Generous equity allowance
- Private healthcare
- 25 days of holiday plus two extra company-wide days on Kings Day (national holiday in the Netherlands which falls in April) and Christmas Eve
- L&D budget of €1000 per year per employee
- Company Laptop (MacBook) + any other equipment for your at-home set up
- Cycle to work scheme (UK)
- Regular socials & team events including end of year events between all offices and staff (incl. remote)
- Generous parental leave policies
- Offices in both London and Amsterdam and supportive of flexible/remote working
- Office perks in our London office include membership discounts for restaurants, wellness services and hotels in the area as well as free fitness classes and drinks on Fridays